Raw Food Diet
With more and more people becoming aware of the detrimental effect of today´s modern diet (processed foods, high in sugar and fat), many are turning to a raw food diet. Coupled with the food scare in February 2013 when it was discovered that horse meat being sold as 100% beef, in our everyday food brands, many people decided enough was enough and changed to a raw food diet – for the simple fact that they want to know exactly what they are eating.
Very few people do in fact eat a 100% raw food diet. It is usual for raw foodists to eat up to 75% of their diet raw with the other 25% ‘cooked’ – but only at very low temperatures.
Raw food diets are naturally low in sodium and high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, and phytochemicals, and can help dieters to shed pounds easily and can also help fend off diseases like diabetes and cancer, particularly colon cancer.
A Raw Food Diet generally includes the following foods:
- Dried fruits
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Freshly made fruit and vegetable juices
- Milk from a young coconut
- Other organic or natural foods which have not been processed
- Purified water (not tap)
- Nuts and Seeds
- Sun-dried fruits
However, raw, doesn’t have to mean boring! With imagination and a little help from people who have doing it for a while, it can be a magnificent diet – full of taste and colour and of course bursting with nutrients. Foods in a raw food diet are foods that haven’t been heated above a certain temperature – usually above 108 degrees. This is because cooking above 108 degrees destroys the natural enzymes in these foods – enzymes that are essential to human health. Without these essential enzymes, our food becomes denatured and loses a lot of their natural benefits necessary for good health.
So with a raw food diet you are getting more of the natural enzymes found in fruits and vegetables, but you are also getting more vitamins and minerals, because when food is cooked at high temperatures most of the vitamins and minerals are destroyed, along with those all important enzymes.
A big advantage of raw food is that it only offers health benefits, whereas when food is cooked at high temperatures carcinogens can be produced (cancer forming agents), which have a detrimental effect on the body. It has been scientifically proven that cooking chemically changes foods from the substances needed for heath into acid forming toxins, free radicals and poisons that destroy our health.
Another advantage of raw food is that it tastes great – you can actually taste the food you are eating and the colours are wonderful.
A disadvantage of the raw food diet is that some vegetables have been found to be more nutritious when cooked. Tomatoes for example give us lycopene and carrots give us carotene, and both of these nutrients are absorbed better from the cooked foods.
Any food cooked for the least amount of time at the lowest temperature will give the best nutrition from that food.
Don’t change from an unhealthy diet to a raw diet overnight! Take it easy and ease yourself into it.
Start with having a large mixed salad with lunch and dinner and gradually, increase the raw portion of your meal and decrease the cooked portion.
One of the quickest and easiest dishes to start you off is a delicious cabbage salad – a sophisticated coleslaw really!!
Here is how to do it – it look’s like a lot of ingredients for the salad dressing, but it’s super quick, and super tasty too.
CABBAGE SALAD – enough for 6 hungry people – keeps very well in fridge for a couple of days too.
¼ large head of green cabbage
1/8 cup of red cabbage
1 red onion
1 red pepper
Grate or slice all the vegetables thinly and place in large bowl
1-2 drops of ginger oil (Young Living)
2 ½ tablespoons of Blue Argave or Stevia or raw Honey
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
1 ½ – 2 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1 drop basil oil *using the toothpick method only (Young Living)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
¼ cup sliced almonds
½ cup organic noodles
All the ingredients for the topping need to be lightly toasted
To Make the Salad
Make the salad dressing and add to the cut vegetables, you will need to mix this by hand and then add the topping and serve.
Suzanne Le Quesne – Dip ION